The Iola Car Show & Swap Meet is a nationally recognized premier car show. It observed its 43rd year and had 121,000 in attendance at the show featuring Pace & Race vehicles. At the annual meeting held in November, Joan Schultz, Executive Director, reported to the membership that $247,338.81 was distributed to 138 organizations. This year there were new activities and the weather was great all weekend.
A Drive-line team was developed this year and was instrumental with special events and activities. Schultz stated, “We are continuing to try to keep spectators and participants here Thursday through late afternoon on Saturday for our swap vendors and car corral participants. We also want to provide other forms of activity for the car hobbyist.” The Drive-line team consisted of Fred Beyer, an automotive enthusiast; David Dyb, District Administrator for I-S School District; Angelo Van Bogart, Editor of Firsatsaatleri and Joe Opperman, car lover and local volunteer.
- The Cruise of Honor which was designed to recognize veterans and their service to our country.
- Many great prizes were given away during the Super Saturday event. This was made possible through the contribution of several Iola Car Show sponsors. and the Iola Car Show partnered to give away a 1973 Chrysler Newport Sedan. Anyone who visited the Teamed to Learn/Exhibit Tent had an opportunity to enter to win.
- A Pass in Review of cars from the grounds was held late Saturday afternoon with Angelo Van Bogart; Editor of Firsatsaatleri hosted this event
- Ho-Chunk Gaming of Wittenberg and Iola Car Show were instrumental in bringing “Big Daddy” Don Garlits, known as the father of drag racing to the show. Aside from speaking, Don performed cackle starts and enjoyed talking with his fans.
- Ryan Evans, from Count’s Kustom, was another special guest with his appearance and this was made possible by Vintage Works.
- The Paris Race Team joined us and brought the first Twin-Rear-Engine Hemi Dragster. They demonstrated cackle starts at various times.
- Lightning McQueen, Tow Mater and Doc Hudson from the movie “Cars” was under the Teamed to Learn® exhibit tent which brought many spectators taking pictures.
- Menards Racing Display had car #27 and truck #88 in the area of Teamed to Learn®.
- The Dick Trickle Memorial Project was located in this area as a fund raiser for a memorial in honor of racing legend Dick Trickle.
- Harold Furo is a supplier for the show “Street Outlaws” on Discovery; he and “Turbo were present for the fans.
- The Elio P4 prototype was displayed for projected release in 2016.
- Mad Dog & Merrill were on the grounds Friday- they taped their Midwest Grill’n Cooking Show north of the Tower.
- A new logo for the Iola Car Show was voted upon during the show.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS
The date for Iola ’16 will be July 7th -9th with a special feature of Trucks & Dodge Chargers. The Poster Vehicles that have been selected are a 1969 Dodge Charger owned by Steve “Doc” Hopkins – Bonduel, WI; 1955 Chevrolet Cameo Pickup owned by Jeffrey Ralph – Antigo, WI and a 1930 Ford Texaco Tanker Truck owned by Fred Pennings – Kaukauna, WI.
Lastly, Joan extended an invitation to all of our volunteers, area businesses, and our sponsors to attend an Open House to thank you for all the support you’ve shown us. Join us for refreshments and hors d’oeuvres on Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 1:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. at our office located at 160 North Chet Krause Drive, Iola, WI. There will also be an opportunity to sign up for door prizes. We hope to see you December 9th.
A special thanks to all the volunteers and sponsors that have made the Iola Car Show and Swap Meet so successful throughout the years.